Arduino
Ivan Shmakov
2013-03-20 15:42:07 UTC
[Cross-posting to news:comp.infosystems.www.misc, for the Web
sites mentioned express a behavior that doesn't seem all that
sensible.]
I want to start with the micro, can you suggest some things I think
to arduino uno starter kit It's a good idea or not thanks and bye
"mbed" [ http://www.mbed.org ]
Any idea why this site (or, rather, http://mbed.org/ it
redirects to) reports 403 Forbidden when there's
that http://www.wescottdesign.com/ results in 406 Not Acceptable
in such a case...

(No big deal, obviously: Lynx can be configured to send whatever
Would be another option...
* No need for dedicated toolchains but standard C (or even C++)
programming.
* More than one architecture/manufacturer available with the same
(eco-)system.
Aren't Arduino boards "free hardware" (as in freedom)? Isn't
anyone thus permitted to produce them, or compatible ones?
(ISTR, that I've seen some at Olimex.)
FSF associate member #7257
Eli the Bearded
2013-03-20 19:54:56 UTC
Post by Ivan Shmakov
Any idea why this site (or, rather, http://mbed.org/ it
redirects to) reports 403 Forbidden when there's
that http://www.wescottdesign.com/ results in 406 Not Acceptable
in such a case...
Both sites seem to dislike that Lynx has "libwww" in the User-Agent
string. Seems to be a crude anti-robot measure. I could duplicate the
problem with

lynx -useragent='libwww'

But not with either of:

lynx -useragent='libww'
lynx -useragent='ibwww'

Elijah
------
has seen this sort of thing before
Ivan Shmakov
2013-03-27 11:56:22 UTC
[Setting Followup-To: news:comp.infosystems.www.misc.]
Post by Eli the Bearded
Any idea why this site (or, rather, http://mbed.org/ it redirects
to) reports 403 Forbidden when there's User-Agent: Lynx... in the
HTTP request header? Also strange is that
http://www.wescottdesign.com/ results in 406 Not Acceptable in such
a case...
Both sites seem to dislike that Lynx has "libwww" in the User-Agent
string. Seems to be a crude anti-robot measure.
ACK, thanks. I've suspected something like that, but stopped
short of actually trying to bisect the Lynx' User-Agent: myself.
One more site to join the league is http://blog.blitz.io/.

What's really surprising in this case, however, that is such a
configuration doesn't prevent a /robot proper/ from accessing
these sites! Consider, e. g.:

$ wget -O /dev/full -- http://www.wescottdesign.com/ http://mbed.org/
Resolving www.wescottdesign.com (www.wescottdesign.com)... 137.118.32.70
Connecting to www.wescottdesign.com (www.wescottdesign.com)|137.118.32.70|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response...
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 11:22:39 GMT
Server: Apache
Resolving mbed.org (mbed.org)... 217.140.101.20
Connecting to mbed.org (mbed.org)|217.140.101.20|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response...
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Server: nginx/1.1.19
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 11:22:40 GMT
$

OTOH, I've indeed seen many sites which deny access to Wget
specifically, and not for Lynx. For instance:

http://arxiv.org/
http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/
http://www.gutenberg.org/

Another strange "crawling prevention" measure is to check
Referer:, which is done by, e. g.:

http://www.classicdosgames.com/
http://www.download-central.ws/

Which is easy to overcome by giving the --header='Referer: ...'
option to Wget.

(Although I'm unsure as to was it the intended behavior for
download-central.ws, or just some kind of misconfiguration.)
Post by Eli the Bearded
I could duplicate the problem with
lynx -useragent='libwww'
FWIW, $ wget -U libwww gives the same result.
Post by Eli the Bearded
lynx -useragent='libww'
lynx -useragent='ibwww'
PS. I think I may want to create a list of such "doing silly things"
Web sites...
FSF associate member #7257
Mel Wilson
2013-03-20 20:20:35 UTC
Post by Ivan Shmakov
Aren't Arduino boards "free hardware" (as in freedom)? Isn't
anyone thus permitted to produce them, or compatible ones?
(ISTR, that I've seen some at Olimex.)
I have in my hand a Chinese Arduino UNO. One of the local hackerspaces
built them into convention badges, and sourced these to keep the cost to
what they could afford. At least they told me it's Chinese. All the board
artwork has been copied 100%, from what I can see. I see Active Tech up
here is offering Arduino compatibles from OSEPP and Solarbotics.

Mel.