websites that don't like firefox
Jonathan de Boyne Pollard
2004-12-10 04:42:18 UTC
MS> at what point are the mimetypes for any url generated?

If the URL employs the "file:" or "ftp:" schemes, most web browsers
deduce the content type from the filename, employing a "mime.types"
database of one sort or another.

If the URL employs the "http:" or "https:" schemes, the content type is
passed, in metadata attched to the actual object data, from the content
HTTP server. Most content HTTP servers themselves employ a "mime.types"
database of some sort to deduce the content type from the filename.

For examples: With vanilla "publicfile", the filename to content type
mappings follow a fixed set of rules.
(<URL:http://cr.yp.to/publicfile/filetypes.html>) With "publicfile" plus
Uwe Ohse's modifications, the filename to content type mappings are
stored in the environment variables of the server instance process.
With Apache, the filename to content type mappings can be stored in a
"mime.types" file, in the "httpd.conf" file, or in a ".htaccess" file.

Note that plug-ins, in both web browsers and content HTTP servers, can
modify the determinations of content types.
Mike Scott
2004-12-10 08:49:45 UTC
Post by Jonathan de Boyne Pollard
MS> at what point are the mimetypes for any url generated?
If the URL employs the "file:" or "ftp:" schemes, most web browsers
deduce the content type from the filename, employing a "mime.types"
database of one sort or another.
'swhat I supposed had to be.

But, like it though I do, I have to say firefox is a pain in this area.
Having got my wmf files sorted out (a plugin apparently dealing with
".wm" files was screwing up .wmf), I now find a lesser hassle with .tif
files. Clicking on a file:// url pointing to a .tif file brings up a
dialogue box offering save to disk or open with.... The latter
drop-down offers photoshop or other. It works OK. But I'd like
irfanview to do the work, and the 'do this always' box is greyed out for
.tif files. Hunt as I might, I can't find anywhere that defines this
behaviour.

Incidentally, getting back to the original point of the thread, I
installed the plugin to change the browser id and told powergen I was
using IE. Works perfectly afaict, and once past the home page the id
can be reset. Makes their browser type check look a bit daft, I think :-)
various domains listed at www.scottsonline.org.uk
regards. Mike Scott Harlow Essex England.(unet -a-t- scottsonline.org.uk)